ONE hundred and eighty years ago, on June 20, 1837, King William IV died and his 18-year-old niece Victoria became Britain’s Queen.
2. She was woken at 6 am to be told her uncle had died and she was Queen. Smelling salts had been prepared for her reaction but she declined them.
3. Queen Victoria was only 4 ft 11 in tall.
5. In 1840 she married her first cousin Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Her mother was Albert’s aunt.
6. He had been born the same year as her and was delivered with the assistance of the same midwife.
7. After Albert died at the age of 42, Victoria continued dressing in black and laying out a fresh suit for him each morning for the rest of her life.
9. Victoria’s first act after her coronation in 1838 was to give her pet spaniel Dash his daily bath.10. “I think people marry far too much; it is such a lottery after all,” (Queen Victoria).